Utilities and Urban Infrastructure Manager, Ghana
Position: Utilities and Urban Infrastructure Manager, Ghana
Closing date: 16/08/2018
Rendeavour is seeking to fill a new Utilities and Urban Infrastructure Manager position for its operations in Ghana. This is an outstanding opportunity to be a lead player in Ghana’s premier new cities and Africa’s urban future.
Stage 1 – The Utilities and Urban Infrastructure Manager will coordinate corporate structuring activities to create, setup and undertake the licensing of the multi utility business model i.e. water, power and telecom utilities. As such, the potential candidate must have hands on experience of dealing with regulators and other government bodies to ensure all licensing and statutory activities can be successfully completed.
Stage 2 – The Utilities and Urban Infrastructure Manager will oversee and administer the day-to-day operational functions and components of the integrated Multi-Utility Engineering and Operations Department. This integrated department will oversee the following services: Telecom, Electrical Distribution, Power Supply, Water Distribution, Water Supply, Sewerage and Sewage Treatment within Appolonia City. The role also entails technical responsibility for overall handover of plant and equipment from the projects/delivery team at site, environmental reporting, compliance and monitoring of policies and procedures within the utility business.
Working closely with the Head of Utilities, Rendeavour and the project team in Ghana this position will focus on the following areas:
Stage 1 – Utility Strategy Implementation
- Coordinate local project development efforts for the establishment of power, water and telecom utility companies;
- Manage relationships with regulators, vendors, consultants and other stakeholders as necessary for the successful setup, establishment and licensing of the utility companies;
- Provide contextually relevant advice on the optimal commercial model for provision of utilities, working with the Group Head of Utilities and the project team in Ghana.
Stage 2 – Setup, Management and Development of Multi-Utility Engineering and Operations Department
- Supervise the daily activities relating to supply of power, water, telecom services and functioning of the integrated technical department;
- Assist and support the investigation of faults and complaints about the utility services, monitor compliance with regulatory requirements;
- Assist the Head of Utilities in reviewing and preparing the annual O&M budgets and other CAPEX expansion projects;
- Manage Appolonia City’s utility infrastructure along with future improvement and expansion projects;
- Implement and manage the utilities ERP System for Appolonia City to ensure each of the utilities business units is tracked and monitored efficiently;
- Report regularly on the status of project infrastructure handover at Appolonia City;
- Represent the multi-utility technical and operations department at meetings with other business units to ensure tight integration and coordination. Support front office functions when needed to deal with complaints and other issues with end users and property owners associations;
- Analyze financial, technical and billing data to identify issues and opportunities, support and reinforce front office efforts for credit collections;
- Monitor and oversee internal quality standards are met for the operational deliverables of telecom, power, water and maintenance services;
- Coach, train and develop employees, perform annual evaluations as per agreed KPI’s;
- Effectively implement and ensure enforcement of multi-utility policies and procedures;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other departments, regulatory agencies, consultants and customers;
- Perform other duties as assigned (i.e., assist project development teams and other departments as needed; participate in required training as applicable; etc.);
- Site works coordination and inspection.
- Planning and management of common areas in Appolonia City;
- City security and safety strategy and implementation;
- Waste management strategy and implementation; and
- Setting up and administration of the city management company, property owners associations and other relevant bodies.
Hard skills and experience:
- Minimum of 7 – 10 years’ professional experience in the utilities space, including but not limited to electricity distribution, power generation, water distribution, telecoms and waste management.
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputable institution.
- Preference for engineering background, experience of dealing with electrical and telecom infrastructure/projects, with basic understanding of water infrastructure and recycling technology.
- Strong project manager, capable of managing multiple work streams.
- Greenfield/construction project experience.
- Specific experience of managing urban developments will be an advantage.
- Rigorous and organized approach.
- Mature, pragmatic and flexible approach, strong commercial judgment.
- Team player but comfortable working autonomously.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good attention to detail.
- Fast learner.
- Hands-on, ready to roll up the sleeves.
- High energy.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting 'Utilities and Urban Infrastructure Manager, Ghana' as the subject